How To Read Email Campaign Reports
I have created a New Page letting my visitors know that I am available for Email Newsletter Design. This is all well to have a great looking Newsletter, but do you just click “SEND” and hope for the best? No! This is where the mass-mailing platform Mailchimp comes in handy.
Mailchimp has a series of Campaign Reports for the Newsletters that you send out, allowing you to capitalise on A/B Testing and to monitor the progress of your newsletter.
I will talk you through with an example.
Say I sent out a Newsletter (a ‘Campaign’) to a list of email subscribers on my Mailchimp account. The specific list of email subscribers (for the sake of arguement) is called ‘Plotted Planter Fans and Customers’ and the Newsletter Campaign was sent in November 2018. Let’s call it “Pesto Is The Best”.
To see the campaign report, you would need to navigate to the Reports Page and click View Report.
The Number of subscribers the campaign was sent to.
The date and time the campaign completed sending from Mailchimp servers.
- Open rate
Percentage of successfully delivered Mailchimp Newsletters that registered as an open.
- Click rate
Percentage of successfully delivered campaigns that registered a click.
- List average for opens and clicks
The average percentage of opens or clicks on previous campaigns sent to this list.
- The industry average for opens and clicks
The average percentage of opens or clicks for campaigns in the selected industry set for your account.
The number of recipients that opened this campaign any number of times.
The number of recipients that clicked any tracked link any number of times in this campaign.
The number of recipients that registered as a hard or soft bounce.
The number of subscribers that opted out of your list using the unsubscribe link in this campaign.
- Total opens
The total number of times the campaign was opened by recipients. This count includes multiple opens from individual recipients.
- Successful deliveries
The number of recipients that didn’t hard or soft bounce on this campaign.
- Clicks per unique opens
Percentage of recipients that registered as an open who also clicked a link in your campaign.
- Total Clicks
The total number of times tracked links were clicked by recipients. This count includes multiple clicks from individual recipients
The number of times the campaign was forwarded using the Forward to a Friend form. This stat considers forwards only through the Forward to a Friend form and is not able to detect when a subscriber uses the forwarding function in their email program.
- Forward opens
The number of times the campaign was opened by someone who was forwarded the campaign using a Forward to a Friend form.
- Abuse reports
The number of recipients that reported your email as spam. Subscribers that report a campaign as spam are automatically unsubscribed from your list.
- Last Opened
The most recent instance of a recipient opening the campaign.
- Last clicked
The most recent instance of a recipient clicking a tracked link in the campaign.
- 24-hour performance
A graph detailing subscriber activity (opens and clicks) for the first 24 hours after the campaign was sent.
- Top links clicked
The URLs that were clicked the most in the campaign.
- Subscribers with most opens
Subscribers that opened the campaign the most times.
- Social performance
Provides a bird’s eye view of how well your campaign is doing across different social media outlets. When your campaign generates Facebook or campaign URL activity, Mailchimp will link to the stats on the report Overview. Click the links to view more detailed information about the social activity for your campaign.
- Top locations
Displays where in the world your subscribers are opening your campaigns. Mailchimp use geolocation tracking to collect your subscribers’ location information and the name of the country subscribers are from.
- Overview The report Overview provides an at-a-glance look at how well a campaign performed: who received the campaign, when they opened it, what links they clicked, how many successful deliveries were made, and other information.
- Activity The Activity menu lets you drill down further into campaign results. Choose one of the Activity menu options to view or export a segment of recipients that interacted with your campaign in a specific way such as opened or did not open, click performance, bounced, and others.
- Activity can also be used to send targeted campaigns to specific portions of your list using Mailchimp’s powerful segmenting options.
- Links The Links tab gives you a better idea of how well each tracked URL performed in the campaign. You’ll find a list of the tracked URLs from your campaign and the number of total and unique clicks for each one. If you’re viewing the report for a Regular, RSS, Automation, or A/B Testing Campaign, we also populate a click map to give you a visual representation of how each link performed.
- Social The Social tab reveals who liked your campaign on Facebook, a list of the top influencers and referrers for the campaign, and a map of clicks from across the globe. Before we can add Facebook stats to your campaign reports, you need to integrate your account with Facebook.
- E-commerce reports The E-Commerce tab provides a breakdown of each subscriber’s purchases, so you can quickly identify which customers make a purchase and what they buy after they open your campaign. If your campaign includes products from multiple connected stores, you can filter the purchase data by each store.
- Conversations The Conversations tab shows replies to your campaign when conversation tracking is enabled. Conversation tracking offers more flexibility than a standard reply-to email address, and allows other account users to receive email notifications when a subscriber replies to your campaign.
- Analytics360 The Analytics360 tab displays Analytics 360 data when applicable, and integration statistics from services like Eventbrite or SurveyMonkey. We also show a breakdown of the top email domains for your subscribers under the Email domain performance chart.
- Inbox Preview, A/B Testing, and Time Warp These results are available from the report Overview if you’ve used those features for your campaign. Just click the headings to see the results for those in your campaign report.